A moisture meter has an excellent display, approximate size, shape, a wide measuring range, and pin sensors to find the moisture content is essential for verifying the condition of materials. This handheld device helps to decide if you have too much moisture or need a humidifier for your specific project.
Whether you’re a contractor, home inspectors, or just a novice carpenter, Moisture meters are the most important tools that can test the moisture content of many different types of material, including drywall, paneling, and wood studs, to get the exact readings, thus allowing you to create accurate results. These electronic devices use electromagnetic fields to give accurate percentage readout results in wood without having to do any damage.
Advantages of Moisture Meters
They can detect damp building materials. If moisture levels are overly high, the wood or other artifact you’re working with can expand, warp, or become brittle. Water damage can become an enormous problem in only a brief time.
They’re cost-effective. It’s better to detect damp wood, sheetrock, or concrete sooner instead of later. It is often costly to repair moldy drywall and other issues if they’re not quickly diagnosed, while a moisture meter isn’t expensive.
They identify wet firewood. If you burn tons of firewood to heat your home or for other purposes, the simplest moisture meter can detect damp wood, which may produce heavy soot and won’t also burn as dry wood
Buyers Guide: Things to Consider
When purchasing the best moisture meter, some factors have to consider, such as-
Pin-style Moisture Meter
Pin type moisture meter is fitted with two pins at the top that need to be entered into the material to detect the moisture percentage level inside. These models are generally cheaper and have the most accurate readings than the pinless moisture meter. However, the downside to these models is that while testing a pin-style moisture meter leaves small holes in the materials to get a reading.
Pinless Moisture Meter
Contactless, pinless moisture meters are also known as non-contact moisture meters that measure moisture on the material’s surface while sitting on the wood’s surface using the sensor or utilizing electromagnetic waves at least 3/4 inches deep. The pinless moisture meter is entirely accurate and does not puncture the material. One drawback is that they are usually more costly than the pin type.
Read more: HVAC Clamp Meters for Your Project
The range of measurement of a moisture meter is one of the essential factors because it is determined by the minimum and maximum moisture percentages it can read. The more comprehensive the measuring range of a rate is, the better because it will provide more precise results. You should look for a product that can measure 6 to 50% moisture content range, especially for flooring and woodworking purposes.
Therefore, the measurement ranges also depend on the type of work, so try to consider a moisture meter with a narrow down measuring range of 7 to 20 % of moisture content so that you will have accurate readings.
Other than the measuring range, accuracy is another most essential feature in deciding which one to buy. Not all moisture meters are as accurate as others and will give accurate results. Please note that the lower this value is, the better the acceptable deviation by a moisture meter within 0.1% increment is accurate. Any device with more than 1% isn’t that accurate and should not be considered.
Analysis of Editor’s Choice List
There are various models on the market, so you may have confusion about selecting the most effective moisture meters for Drywall. In this article, we have done some research to find information about the moisture meters available in the market.
1. 2.0 Dual Moisture Meter by SAM-PRO
- 9 v battery operated;
- Accurate for concrete;
- Heavy-duty plastic materials;
- Four material modes;
- Pin-type and Pinless capabilities
- Dual readouts;
- High/ Low Moisture Reading Bar;
- LCD Backlit flashlight mod.
2.0 Dual Moisture Meter by SAM-PRO is a worldwide professional-grade moisture meter that allows its users to obtain moisture reading in a massive measurement range, even in the trickiest places. Its ergonomics design makes it One of the most versatile top products on the market.
This digital pin-type device is an effective handheld moisture meter to measure moisture in over 100 materials, including four building material types such as hardwood, softwood, drywall, and concrete. The pin is so good to easily detect the moisture levels in ceilings, floors, carpets, and water damage caused by floods, water leaks, wet spots in the wood.
This Dual Moisture Meter can read the moisture content of wood slabs and boards within a Moisture scale that stretches from 0% to 70%, which is huge relative to other moisture meters. There are many easy-to-read color LCD screens and an LCD flashlight function, which is great for working in dark spaces and other low-lit areas to read the moisture within a minute.
This multifunctional meter has 4 sensor probes for accurate moisture reading and two metal prongs for rapid reading. On top of this product also includes some helpful extras like five buttons, which include mode, temperature, max/min, scan, hold functions, and on/off button, which gives them greater flexibility of accurate readings on all sorts of materials.
- Ergonomic and user-friendly design;
- Easy to use;
- durable and sharp 10 mm pins;
- Large screen with easy to read display;
- Wide measurement range;
- Perfect for Mold Protection;
- Take measurements in hard to access area;
- Lifetime warranty.
- Annoying protective cap;
- Variable accuracy for critical measurements.
2. Klein Tools ET140 Non-Destructive Pinless Moisture Meter
- Pinless meter;
- electromagnetic field (EMF) technology;
- mode button functions to select between materials;
- Low battery indicator;
- Auto-Power off functions;
- Built to withstand a 6.6 foot (2 m) drop;
Klein tools ET140 pinless moisture meter is an American manufacturer of Klein tools’s premium-quality. These professional-grade hand tools deliver performance, durability, and precision to determine the moisture content of different parts of an entire building.
This moisture meter uses a mode button system to easily select between materials for detecting the moisture content of drywall, hardwood, and softwood. Most importantly, it can also be used on masonry.
The other impressive bit about this moisture meter is it uses electromagnetic field (EMF) technology to pick up the moisture levels. Just holding the meter against the surface, it can assess the reading moisture range of 0 percent to 35 percent for hardwoods, 0 percent to 55 percent for softwoods, and a relative scale of 0 to 100 for drywall, gypsum, brick, concrete, and other building material.
It is non-invasively designed and tested to detect hidden moisture content up to 3/4-Inch, which is 19mm depth. This comprehensive moisture detection system has easy viewing with a bright, reverse-contrast display. Nine LED bars indicate a moisture range to use in various circumstances and different projects.
- noninvasive Simple to use;
- Ensure accurate results;
- Reverse contrast display for easy read-outs;
- Nine LED bars to indicate Moisture range;
- Hold functions to freeze a reading;
- Detects moisture content up to 3/4-inch thickness (19 mm) deep.
- Not to detect moisture on wooden material.
3. Tavool (MT270 – Silver) Digital Wood Moisture Meter
- Stainless steel pins for corrosion resistance;
- Two Measurement Modes: wood and Common Building materials;
- Hold on buttons;
- Easy navigation;
- Auto shut-down functions;
- Work on 8 types kinds of wood;
- Big led display with backlit.
Tavool (MT270 – Silver) Digital Wood Moisture Meter is a pin-style best moisture meter primarily designed to see the moisture content of the wood and track the hidden location such as water leaks in walls and surfaces of moisture build-ups. It uses a strong stainless steel pair of pins to give out moisture content readings, including temperatures, humidity, 2 modes of wood/non-wood material with a precision of +/- 2 % moisture content.
This moisture meter comes with calibration options to find out the moisture content of eight different types of timbers to quickly assess the %MC (Moisture Content) condition of the wood. While measuring the moisture content, it simultaneously picks up the temperature in C/F of the other material as well.
There are many other features like an easy-to-read Backlit LED screen, the built-in memory function, auto-shutoff feature in 10 minutes without operation, Max/Min moisture measurement, and Hold key freezes readings making this machine convenient and value-added.
- Multi-tasking device;
- Lightweight and easy to carry;
- Meet professional usage;
- Very accurate to Offer consistent results;
- temperature Displays in either Celsius or Fahrenheit;
- Moisture meter for wood materials: 6% – 60%;
- Moisture meter for non-wood materials: 5% – 40%;
- Ideal to use in woodworking, building construction, agriculture restoration, and floor-laying.
- No audio/visual alerts.
4. Tavool (MT270-Y – Yellow) Digital Pin Type Moisture Meter with Backlit LED Screen
- Two measuring modes;
- Eight calibration scales for wood measuring;
- Large easy-to-read backbit led screen;
- The Hold key function;
- Ensure accurate measuring;
- Automatic power-off.
Another useful moisture meter at a reasonable price from Tavool is Tavool (MT270-Y – yellow) digital pin type moisture meter. This device is one of the most detailed moisture detectors designed for seeing the moisture content of woodworking, building construction, agriculture restoration, and floor-laying.
The two high precision strong stainless-steel pins can pinpoint pockets of exact moisture locations and read hidden within the wood, wall, and masonry surfaces quickly.
Moisture meter with eight calibration scales and quickly scans in the %mc (moisture content) at a low (5-12%), medium (12-17%) or high (17-60%) in wood products makes it an excellent tool for manufacturers, inspectors, and lumber suppliers. It also has the same features, just as the Tavool (MT270 – silver).
All the features make them both mostly used to ensure the consistent results of moisture contents of wood products such as hardwood flooring, cabinets, furniture, lumber, slats, beams, plywood, paneling, conglomerates, window frames, forestry wood, building materials, and more.
- Easy to use;
- Good accuracy;
- Ergonomic design;
- Multi-tasking device;
- Measures broad aspects of the sample;
- Display temperature in C/F;
- Provides max/min moisture measurement levels;
- Features abs plastic casing.
- Has to improve quality.
5. Calculated Industries 7440 Accumaster Xt Digital Moisture Meter
- Battery operated dual-pin: pin-typed and pinless;
- Clear indication by audio alert;
- Handy hold key freezes screen capacity;
- 1.5% to 33%- measurement range for building or non-wood materials;
- 5-50%- measurement range for wood;
- Replaceable ⅜” stainless steel test pin;
- Comes with a protective pin cover.
The 7440 ACCUMASTER XT by calculated industries is a handy digital best moisture meter for drywall, concrete, brick, and various lumber grades. The dual function gives convenient operation in all kinds of shape and condition of the surface.
The pin-typed option is for working on woodworking and the uneven surface of firewood for the quick reading of the moisture level, such as low (5-11%), medium (12-15%), and high (16-50%) before burning. The pinless function checks moisture content in bricks, lumber, concrete, drywall, plaster, and carpets without damaging the wood’s surface. This is also designed to prevent the hidden leaks in all varieties of walls and surfaces.
To read the moisture content, it has a well-designed sizeable backlit display with easy-to-read icons for comfortable sight and offers a convenient freeze function that can hold the reading. It also has audible alerts for low, medium, and high levels of moisture setting, helping to assess multiple areas of a site quickly. This device includes a cap on the top to prevent any sudden accident with sharp pins, and another connects to the bottom to avoid falling away.
- Sturdy & ergonomic design;
- Hand-friendly easy to use the device;
- Two measurements of wood and building materials indicator;
- Large, easy-to-read backlit screen ensure easy visibility;
- User-friendly with clear information;
- More options to check moisture content against multiple kinds of wood;
- Ideal for different groups of users such as remodelers, woodworkers and artisans, home-owners, and campers.
- Do not come with an extra pin.
6. KOPAAK Pin-type Digital Moisture Meter
- Sensitive electrode pins;
- Built-in probe;
- User-friendly LCD screen;
- Max & min moisture reading key;
- Accuracy measuring range is 0-99.9%
- Ability to select four types of woods and other materials;
- Wood and other materials selection key;
- Reading lock;
- Automatic and manual power on/off.
If you are looking for a professional-grade moisture meter to help you detect wood moisture for firewood, drywall, carpet, or such different wood grades, then KOPAAK pin-type digital moisture meter is the one.
It is a pin type moisture meter with user-friendly large LCD and selection key settings for different densities of wood and other materials for a more accurate readout, responding quickly when pressed to adjust the settings buttons.
This meter’s most significant selling point is it can easily use and precisely test water content of moisture ranging from 0-99.9% in firewood, wooden floors, carpets, drywall, timber logs, and reliably test for mold and humidity in other materials. This affordable moisture meter is the right choice for first-line mold detection and a moisture meter for home-owners and building material assessment for any professional working with wood.
- Excellent precision;
- Protective cover;
- Easily detect a wide range of materials;
- Low battery indicator;
- Larger led screen with a bold display.;
- Suitable for unique DIY and professional projects;
- Very accurate for measuring different kinds of wood.
- Issues with accuracy.
7. Digital Pin Type Moisture Meter by EOUTIL
- Two high precision pins;
- Moisture tester;
- Temperature tester;
- Water leak detector;
- Two measurement modes- wood and building material;
- Eight calibration scales based on different types of wood material;
- An auto-off power system that lasts for three minutes.
Are you a home-owner, or woodworker, or contractor who wants to measure the moisture levels in wood, under carpets, and drywall? Then this digital pin type moisture meter by EOUTIL is the one that can detect leaks and water damage more buried into the walls and woods you are working on. Its ergonomic design will fit perfectly in one hand to get a comfortable and better grip.
This multi-tasking device has multi-function quality, allowing you to read the data for a long time and measure the moisture condition in a red, yellow, and green LED color light indicator in a very convenient way to read the large LCD.
It is the best moisture meter to get both wood materials moisture meter and building material moisture meter. Based on different types of wood moisture measurement mode, the %mc (moisture content) in wood products is green for low moisture (< 12%), yellow for mid moisture (12% – 15.9%), and red for high moisture (16%-60%).
Building material moisture meter mode is to find hidden leaks in drywalls and surfaces to protect wall heath in time. The wide range of measurement levels for building material is green for low moisture (< 17%), yellow for mid moisture (17% – 19.9%), and red for high moisture (20%-33%). Besides moisture testing, it also a temperature tester with a range between 0-50℃ (32-122℉).
- Easy to use and read;
- Backlit LCD for comfortable reading;
- Accurate resolution;
- ±2% accuracy for wood and building material;
- ±2℃ accuracy for temperature testing;
- Useful in all wood densities and building materials;
- Hold button freezes readings for later reading;
- Audible and visual high-medium-low moisture content alerts.
- Have to understand the settings.
8. General Tools MMH800 Most Professional Inspector Moisture Meter
- Battery operated;
- Dual pin and pinless meter;
- Audible alarm for a different level of moisture;
- Two LCDs;
- Data hold button;
- Delivers temperature and humidity readings;
- Best moisture meter for wood slabs;
- Spare set of pins included in the package.
General tools MMH800 is a 4-in-1 combo pin/pad RH moisture meter perfect for locating water leaks and measuring ten types of building materials moisture content of wood, drywall, plaster walls, carpeting, subflooring, brick, grout, soil, paper, or powders. This tool features both pinned and pinless surface sensors into one single unit from which you can get both accurate moisture content and the quickly scanned of the large area.
In addition to the unique combination, it offers two displays; one for moisture content and another for displaying the percentage of ambient temperature and humidity. The unit provides a moisture measurement range of 5-percent to 50-percent in wood and 1.5-percent to 33-percent in building materials.
It is designed with highly visible easy-to-read dual LCDs and an audible water detection alarm with a high, low, medium indicator to show the different moisture levels. The audible alarm automatically sounds if moisture is detected. It holds data functions that can store the moisture level readings for convenient viewing later without missing the data. The tool has a wide rubber grip for convenience in using and has an auto diagnostic check, an automatic power-off system with a low battery indicator.
- Ergonomic and compact design;
- Scan large area quickly;
- Easy-to-read LCD;
- Temporarily stores data;
- Powered by included a 9-volt battery;
- Pin type for precisely measuring moisture in materials;
- Pinless to detect and scanning general areas of moisture;
- Distinguish between wet and dry spot;
- Capable of measuring a variety of woods and building materials.
- Very expensive.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Moisture Meters Accurate?
Yes, all of the moisture meters in our list can give approximately accurate value measurements of wood and building material moisture content. However, this accuracy is also affected by the quality, model, and moisture meter types.
What Is Moisture Level Acceptable in Firewood?
Below 20 percent moisture level Seasoned firewood is obvious. Otherwise, the wood won’t be usable for the fire.
Read more: PH Testers You Can Trust
What is a Normal Reading on a Moisture Meter?
In general, it depends on the type of wood and its purpose. A reading of 5-12 percent is ideal for firewood, where for fresh-cut pine and spruce, it is acceptable up to 15 %. On the other hand, for drywall, needing lower moisture readings of around 5-7 percent; otherwise, it indicates a problem.
In conclusion, it’s quite clear that many people will require a moisture meter for a variety of different reasons. And the above list of products is the top moisture meter for drywall that has covered all the efficient and accurate devices to suit functions and can confidently be used as a professional.
Our article reviewed the multifunctional eight moisture meters for drywall to measure the humidity, air, and temperature. Along with buyer’s guides, we hope that we’ve given you the knowledge and confidence to find a moisture meter as your preferences will make a great purchase.
You might also like: